Beans are rich in raffinose, a prebiotic soluble fiber, while walnuts add heart-helping fats to this clean snack.
BLACK BEAN BITES WITH SPICY SALSA
Ready in 25 minutes • Makes 16 servings
2 15-oz cans black beans or any bean, drained and rinsed
1 tsp ground cumin
½ cup walnuts
½ cup plain breadcrumbs
2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
1 shallot, minced
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch sea salt
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 avocado, diced
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
2. Blend black beans, cumin and walnuts in a food processor until they form a paste-like consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add a ¼ cup of breadcrumbs (save the rest for later) and mix.
3. Combine tomatoes, shallot, cilantro, ½ teaspoon paprika and salt in a medium bowl. Stir 1 cup of tomato mixture into the black bean mixture.
4. Mix the remaining 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs, oil and the remaining ½ teaspoon of paprika in a medium bowl until breadcrumbs are coated with oil. Divide the bean mixture into small balls (makes about 8 balls). Lightly press each bean ball into the breadcrumb mixture and coat. Place on the baking sheet.
5. Bake the bean bites until heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add avocado to the remaining tomato mixture and stir to make a salsa. Serve the salsa with the bean bites.
* Savings based on US cover price. US funds only. Oxygen is
published 12 times per year. Canadians: $15.00 S&H (includes GST or
HST where applicable) is added to the price. Please allow up to 6 weeks
for delivery of your first issue.