Each morning, without fail, the intoxicating aroma of sweet berries and warm cinnamon waft over from the cubicle of our Fitness Editor, Rachel Crocker. Some may call us fit ladies predictable, but since Rachel perfected her protein pancake, she figures, why mess with a good thing? “I use this recipe every morning, even when I have a competition coming up,” she says. “In the final few weeks, I cut the berries and oats, and it’s still delicious.”
Rachel’s Berry Pink Pancake
Ready in 10 minutes • Makes 1 big pancake
1 scoop whey protein powder (Rachel likes Dymatize ISO-100 in Gourmet Berry)
½ cup egg whites
2 tbsp quick oats
1 tsp ground flaxseed
¼ cup blueberries
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1. Mix first 5 ingredients in a large blow. Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. Pour the mixture into the warm pan and let cook for about 30 seconds, then sprinkle blueberries into the batter.
3. Cover pan with a lid and let cook about 2 minutes. When the cake is fluffy, flip it over, cover and let cook for another 2 minutes. Check now and then to make sure it’s not burning. The pancake is done when it rises back after being pressed with the spatula.
4. Spread a layer of peanut butter on top and serve.
* Savings based on US cover price. US funds only. Oxygen is
published 12 times per year. Canadians: $15.00 S&H (includes GST or
HST where applicable) is added to the price. Please allow up to 6 weeks
for delivery of your first issue.