Fit tip: Comfort food doesn't need to lead to belly bulge! Practice sensible portion control by cutting this pizza into 12 slices instead of six.
BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
Ready in 30 minutes • Makes 6 servings
1 frozen whole wheat pizza crust
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp olive oil
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed
2 cups Mango BBQ sauce (recipe on page 2)
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
4 oz. smoked mozzarella
1. Bake crust according to package directions.
2. Saute red onion in olive oil on medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken and barbeque sauce and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to simmer until sauce thickens and clings to chicken, about 10 minutes.
5. Spread chicken and sauce mixture onto prebaked pizza crust.
6. Sprinkle with cilantro and cheese and heat at 400°F in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and let rest 5 minutes. Cut into 12 slices and serve.
Avoid the high-fructose corn syrup, stabilizing gums, and artificial colors found in store-bought barbeque sauces by making your own! Thanks to the vinegar and molasses, this sauce should be good for several months. You can also freeze it for up to a year.
MANGO BBQ SAUCE
Ready in 75 minutes • Makes 72 servings
1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 mango peeled, pitted and chopped
2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup unsulfured organic molasses
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet or pot on medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, garlic and mango. Saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
3. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes, stirring often.
4. Remove skillet from heat and allow to cool uncovered for 30 minutes.
5. Transfer two cups of the cooled sauce to a blender. Puree on high to thoroughly combine and liquefy all ingredients.
6. Once all the sauce has been pureed, transfer to storage jars or containers. Label, date and store in the refrigerator.
* Savings based on US cover price. US funds only. Oxygen is
published 12 times per year. Canadians: $15.00 S&H (includes GST or
HST where applicable) is added to the price. Please allow up to 6 weeks
for delivery of your first issue.