Do-it-Right Crash DietBy Trainer Talk|Kim Lyons|2012-09-06 | Comments: 0
Hi Oxygen Friends,
I just booked a big shoot for the 16th of this month. It's a video shoot so there's no chance of cheating with good angles or photoshop! While I don't need to be shredded, I want to look my best. With only 11 short days to work with and a bum knee, I'm going to need to really buckle down on the nutrition, hard core! Hence, today I'm covering one of my favorite topics, crash diets! This might surprise you, but I'm a fan of crash diets! Before you go nuts, let me explain. I'd love to say, "No, don't do crash diets, they will just bit you in the butt long term," but the reality is that we all have those special events that pop up and we want to look out best. Bottom line, crash diets are going to happen so instead of discourage them, I say go for it, but do it right.
I love having a hard deadline in mind that keeps me 100% focused on perfection. And as a trainer, it's a way to get my clients to focus on eating 100% perfect, even if it's just for a few weeks. The key is not to "crash" during or after the crash diet!
Here are the rules for my Do-It-Right Crash Diet:
1. Increase water intake to 1 gallon a day. Water is the secret weapon to flush toxins out of the body, releases water retention, keeps skin glowing, decreases appetite, and increases energy levels.
2. Only one serving of starchy carbs a day eaten at the first meal of the day. I'm not a fan of no carb diets, but I'm a huge fan of filling up on veggies instead of bagels. This rule alone will help you shed pound fast and put your metabolism in overdrive. Choose oatmeal, high fiber cereal, brown rice, quinoa, sweat potatoes or other whole grains for your starchy carb.
3. Eat 100% natural nutrient dense foods. If you follow these rules your calories will come in between 1200-1400. In order to get the nutrients your body needs, everything needs to be nutrient dense. NO EMPTY CALORIES.
4. No condiments, period. There are some "friendly condiments" out there, but they are far and few between. Keep this simple and stick to spices and not condiments.
5. Increase fiber to 30gm daily. Fiber is essential to keep the digestive system working properly. Supplement with psyllium husks if you need to.
6. One serving of healthy fat daily. Healthy fats are essential to every diet, but high in calories. In order to create a good calorie deficit keep fats low. A few ideas for good fats are coconut oil, fish oil capsules, flax seed, avocado, nuts, and chia seeds.
7. Supplement with glutamine, vitamin C, a multi vitamin, and vitamin D daily. Keep your immune system strong and avoid losing muscle with these essentials supplements.
8. Eat five small meals daily. Grazing through the day will keep the cravings down and ensure that the calories are burned and not stored. Think of your metabolism as a fire. Small meals kindle the fire. Toss a huge log on a slow fire and it won't burn, toss small sticks on and the fire gets hotter. Your metabolism works the same way.
9. No sugar with the exception of one serving of berries a day. Sugar is flat out evil and devastating to our bodies. I could write a book on this rule! If you crave something sweet have 1 cup of berries.
10. No dairy with the exception of Greek yogurt. Dairy can be tough on the digestive system, is high in sodium, and often made from not-so-great sources. Take the guess work out and stick to all natural low fat Greek yogurt. It's full of protein and healthy probiotics. Get your calcium from dark leafy greens like spinach.
*NOTE: Don't skip out on the exercise. Get a minimum of one hour of activity daily leading up to your event or shoot. This will keep you energy level up, burn calories, boost your metabolism, increase blood flow and digestion, and boost your confidence too!
Stay tuned for my blog on how not to crash after a crash diet. Maintaining your results and keeping the ball rolling makes the short term dedication worth it!
What HEALTHY habits do you guys have to lose weight fast?
Kim Lyons, former Biggest Loser trainer, knows how to motivate and kick your butt into shape. This fitness champ, Oxygen cover model and nutritional consultant knows all the new fitness trends. Get moving with her latest training tips.